Jan 17, 2008

Tech-savvy pets


Technology is changing the world -- and not just for humans.

My cat Pause is a proud member of the social-networking giant Facebook. He has 19 friends, 17 tagged photos and gets "stroked" more often than I get "poked." (Profile picture right).

I realize it's pretty ridiculous that I have created a profile -- complete with interests -- for my cat. But I am not alone. Far from it actually.

Catbook (the actual name of the application developed for Facebook) has 14,742 active daily users. Its counterpart, Dogbook, has 37,160 active daily users.

Here is a story ABC News did back in August 2007 about the subject:



It doesn't end there as Facebook is not the only site that allows people to create profiles for their four-legged loved ones.

Dogster, featured in this New York Times article in December 2007, is a website that takes dog profiles one step further. Owners can post questions and answers in forums as their dog. For example, in the Puppy Place forum the dog, Leo, "barked" the following response to how he got his name:

"My astrological sign is Leo, just like my mommy - and I reminded her of a bear...or even a lion. So it fit. There was a scary moment where I was almost named Snowflake - but my aunt saved me from that. :)"

Of course Dogster led to Catster, and I'm sure one day it will lead to Fishster and Snakester. (FYI - Facebook already has a Horsebook).

Will these applications and websites do anything to advance society? Probably not.

But at least cats and dogs can finally be "friends."

2 comments:

Henry Owens said...

Catster is sickening. No two ways about it.

Anonymous said...

Cats and dogs can't be friends.Grace