Jan 31, 2008

I wonder how ...

Have you ever asked yourself, "I wonder how to be smarter at work" or "I wonder how to toilet train my cat."

Or even "I wonder how to make a tomato glow in the dark."

Well wonder no more.

A new video Web site, Wonderhowto.com, is a compilation of "How To" videos. A "Video guide for the curious world," as the Web site banner states.

So who ever thought to create Wonder How To?

Well according to this article in yesterday's New York Times, Stephen Chao, a former top employee of News Corporation, who was fired by Rupert Murdoch, had the idea.

Why was he fired? Well one time Chao hired a male stripper to strip at a company meeting. Another time he almost drowned Murdoch's dog.

Two bad decisions.

Regardless Chao is back on his feet after spending time in Santa Monica with his family, and is now trying to create an educational alternative to YouTube.

I decided to peruse the Web site and found several interesting videos including the ones mentioned above.

Here's how to make a tomato glow in the dark:


As expected, not all the videos are PG. In order to view a "How To" with adult content, you need to register and be over 18.

Once registered you can view several "sexual health" videos and post your own.

For now the Web site is clearly in it's early stages and I found it more entertaining than helpful, however I believe it has potential.

Chao said in a telephone interview to the New York Times that the "How To" market is huge.

He said:
What I started to notice is that there is a lot of how-to information out there that is fabulous but kind of hard to find. We set out to make it easy.
So there you have it.

From rated R to rated G you can now easily learn "How To" do a wacky collection of stuff.

No comments: