Mar 3, 2008

Fantasy versus reality

I do not comprehend the obsession with fantasy sports.

My boyfriend and his friends for example have a baseball, hockey and football fantasy league. There was once a basketball league but that wasn't as successful and "amateur" in comparison. (I was in it but I did not do a single thing except name my team).

Their leagues are no "five-by-five" (no idea what that means but this is what they tell me with a chortle) and during draft day, they all sit at their computers all day long ... drafting and what not.

I've learned there are many Web sites for fantasy sports fanatics to keep up with stats like Rotoworld, and CBS sports has a fantasy section in addition to their regular sports news. There are also magazines specifically for fantasy sports.

The details of fantasy athletics have been explained to me several times by extremely excited parties but it's in one ear and out the other -- I prefer my sports live and in-person, and even that in moderation.

However, I've always been intrigued about this die-hard dedication to virtual sports so when I heard about a celebrity fantasy league last year, I decided to try it out.

Fafarazzi is aimed towards die-hard celeb followers. I'm not die-hard by any means but I do know my gossip-journalism quite well.

What you basically do is draft a "team" of celebrities who you think will be mentioned the most in the news.

According to Fafarazzi:
Scoring is based on Fafarazzi.com's automatic scoring method. Each time a celeb's full name is mentioned in the selected gossip blogs & entertainment news sources they will earn 1 point. You can read more about the scoring method here.
Currently, there is a "March Madness" Fafarazzi league where:
  • 64 celebrities split into 4 sections (Movies, Music, TV & Socialites and Weirdos).
  • Celebrities are ranked 1 to 16 in each section based on their historical points on Fafarazzi
  • The tournament will begin on March 18th at 8am and end on April 5th at 8pm. (To coincide with the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament)
  • The tournament has 5 rounds, semifinals and finals. Each round will consist of 3 to 5 days of scoring. Scores will be tallied from 8am to 8pm Eastern Time.
(More details here).

In addition, you can either join a pool or make your own pool with your friends. Basically this Celeb-style March Madness will determine who is the ultimate celebrity.

The Web site also has a ton of stories about celebrities compiled from gossip magazines worldwide. You also get an e-mail that lists by points the top celebrity of the weeks and it's probably no surprise Britney Spears is the top scorer this week. (I am pretty excited to include a picture of her on this blog).

The basic league I attempted with my friends last year failed miserably. No one was really into it (including myself) and it seemed silly to spend a ton of time with our celebrity league.

But it seems as though the site is doing quite well and Entertainment Tonight even has their own league.

As fantasy baseball season is starting soon, I'm tempted to try Fafarazzi again -- but then again, maybe I'll better off just watching gossip T.V.

Photo courtesy Creative Commons user Disier.

No comments: